May 26, 2007

Sacred Space

It continues to amaze me how easy it is for me to buy into the success-driven, accomplishment-driven ethos that we live in. If I don't pay close attention to what I am doing - more specifically, to the intentions that I bring to what I am doing - I quickly get pulled into doing (whatever it is) and caring more about the goal or end product. In other words, I care more about getting "it" done "right" (which, of course, means my way) than about learning as I go, or helping others along the way. When I do that I am focusing mainly on the future-end instead of on the present-now. I have learned - although I guess I've not learned it well! - that to live with awareness, for me, means that I need to seek ways/practices that help me stay aware of "now".

I have started lighting a candle each day when I enter my office before I begin my tasks for the day. Throughout the day, having that candle lit where I can see it helps to call me back to awareness of what I am doing and through Whom I am doing it. Rather than "business as usual," it helps me remember that the journey is important. If I believe, and I do, that God can use all that I do for God's purposes, no matter the outcome, then from God's view perhaps it is the way I live the journey that is most important for me...

How do you create intentionality in what you do? Do you find a need to work at bringing awareness of the presence of God into the daily-ness of your life? If so, how do you do that? What works for you at home, in the office, during rush hour traffic...? I'd like to hear your thoughts.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

I have a corner bookcase in my bedroom, where I have a scented candle, several Bibles, several Celtic devotion books, two journals, my prayer list, pen, a beautiful framed copy of the entire Serenity prayer, and a couple other things. I live in a very small space, so I do my daily devotions sitting in bed. It's my place to slow down, wind down, seek to open myself up to hear God if He speaks. I light my candle with prescribed words and use Celtic words when I put it out. It's ritual; it's calming; it starts my day off and ends my evening, the bookmarks of my day.

I wish I could report that I've had a definite religious experience in my "spot," but I remind myself that I am showing up at God's feet, waiting. The promise is not that I am aware of Him in a way I can determine; the promise is that He will be present in all times and places. I am the seeker.

suzanne said...

I am truly beginning to enjoy (and value) rituals, I think they do much to center our lives and expand our hearts and minds to be open to experiencing the Holy.

You said, "The promise is not that I am aware of Him in a way I can determine; the promise is that He will be present in all times and places."

And I wouldn't be surprised if your daily ritual opens you up to experiencing God at other times and in other places than just your 'bookmark' times. I think that's the way rituals work in deepening our experience - the effects last beyond the performance of the ritual itself.