August 26, 2010

reaping what others have sown

I am really enjoying the seasons here - yes, even the winter with its almost 60 inches of snow... which will come again soon enough, I'm sure.

Throughout the spring and even into early summer, I have enjoyed spending time on the back deck of the house we're renting. So restful enjoying the birds feeding only a few feet away, enjoying the breeze and cool temps. If I sit quietly enough, the chipmunks, squirrels, and rabbits will come close to feed on what the birds spill out of the feeder. Fabulous.

It has been fun watching the growth in the plant beds. Bulbs sprouting, shrubs and trees blooming - all of which were planted and tended by people long before we came.  It's been exciting to see what will appear next, not knowing what will grow and bloom - reaping the sowing that others have done. Isn't that the way of life - always reaping what others have, in some fashion, sown... but we like to think we've done it. Always in control, always on our own - dependent on no one, society says, is proof of your worth... What an illusion. We are inter-dependent, whether we see it or not, whether we know it or not... Ah, but how much more exciting that makes living.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right on! The world tells us to be self sufficient. In fact are we not groomed to be so. However, the Lord tells me its not about me and to take all my concerns to him and hand them over. I soo enjoy the reaping of what others have sown rather than making it about me and patting my back I can continue the work and enjoyment of those before me. That is what Christ had intended that we may continue his work and love one another.

Vickie said...

I read a good book by Malcolm Gladwell about how we talk in this country about the "self-made" man or about "instant success." He did interviews and research about several such where he showed there were many factors beyond the individual's control that put them in the right place, time, circumstance. We sow, others reap and God plans and blesses the outcome. We reap, but should never forget the sower or the ultimate Creator.

Anonymous said...

I have missed your way of communicating almost as much as I miss you (both). Keep it up! As you probably can guess...this one hit me squarely between the eyes. - JAY