August 27, 2008

Living in the in-between

As our senior pastor’s ministry with us concludes, we are aware that we are entering into a time of change. Really we always have change occurring in our lives – the question is how much change is happening and how significant is the impact of it?

Times of transition, like this time for our congregation, can easily be times of stress and anxiety. And knowing that the change is coming, having 10 months to prepare for a change that is to come, oftentimes really isn’t all that helpful once the change happens. There is that moment, that identifiable moment, when you know that things won’t be the same again. Not necessarily better or worse, just not the same. And it is then that I begin to understand more deeply all that this change means – the ways it will (and hopefully will not) affect different areas of my life; how it will and won’t affect relationships; and how it will (and likely won’t) affect my faith. And then, in this case at least, I begin to understand that I've also entered into a "living in-between" time. A time between what is past and the rest of the change (our next pastor arriving) that still waits ahead somewhere...

The more significant the change (notice I didn’t say “bigger” because it’s not the size of the change but how significant I believe it is) - the more significant the change, the more there is to work through in order to get back to the core. But when I do, what I find there is the unchangingness (like that word?) of God, the steadfastness of God in my life. And I remember that my life is part of a much bigger story, God’s story. And I remember that with God at the center (not me, not a situation, just God) the details look different. My anxiety is lessened, my acceptance of what is expands, my capacity for sharing love and grace is increased, and I know with a trust that is unmeasureable that all will be well. And peace has room to grow within me once again.

What do you turn to during times of significant change? What brings you back to peace?

1 comment:

Gretta said...

It is very encouraging to her a fellow believer share her heart on the tension that we all face in periods of change in our lives. It is very true that "living in the in-between" time demands from us something deep. It is comforting to know that God never change. Our situations change as we are limited in our knowing. Living in this limbo period gives us the opportunity to reflect, pray, rededicate and grow in our faith. Thank you for sharing. MK Bogle - Toronto Canada