August 31, 2008

Living in the in-between, part 2

In an earlier post I reflected on times of change being full of the potential for fear and anxiety. Those in-between times – the times of change when we are living between what once was and what is not yet – can also be rich times of growth. I think the question lies in whether we can live in the in-between and remain open. Can I remain open to the opportunities, possibilities, and promises that can be found when I am willing to let go of what has “always been?” (or at least what I perceive or remember or feels like it has always been) Can I live open to the opportunities change can bring or will I live only aware of the dangers hiding in the murkiness?

I think one of the hardest things to do during times of change is to live with a sense of expectancy and hope – believing that what lies ahead will be something greater than I could have ever imagined. Living out that belief in all of my actions and all my thoughts. This is even harder to do when the change is not something that I asked for.

I find that I am able to hold on to this view of expectancy and hopeful moments when I remember that God is at work. God is at work not only here where I find myself, but God is also at work where I am going – I simply need to meet God there. I am not going someplace where God is not – I am going toward where God already is. And God walks with me on the journey (boggles the mind, I know).

Do you live believing that God is already at work in the world and that you join God in the work God has already begun? What difference does believing in Jesus make in your life? How do you, or can you, live differently because of that belief?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One of the hard parts of living in the "in-between space" is knowing when you have moved beyond that time. I'm in Kentucky now, enjoying my life here but still not sure what path I am to follow or if I have already followed the path. Is my life here what doors opened to get me here were for? Did I miss the purpose of my move? I do believe God was where I left, where I am, where I will be and where I will ultimately end. But the waiting is very hard and deciding you have gotten to the next step even harder.