November 27, 2008

Living Thanks...

Thank you, God, for blessing my life. The Scriptures tell us that all good gifts come from you – so thank you for faith and love, and grace and forgiveness. For being mindful of me and being a tangible part of my life, I give you thanks. For the abundance of love which you shower upon me, and which I see again and again in the people in my life, I give you thanks. For hardship and sorrow, I give you thanks – for even though you don’t cause them, through them I am learning compassion and understanding joy which come from you. Thank you, God, for loving me; for being mindful of me; and for drawing me to you so that I can learn to see as you see and love as you love. Amen.

I woke up this morning and (after I remembered what day of the week it was!) began to think about all the things I am thankful for in my life – my husband who not only loves me but who fully supports me in responding to God’s call to ministry; our son and extended family; friends; that my needs are met, sure I have wants (who doesn’t) but my needs have been provided for; a ministry through which I can serve God with all that I am; and... my faith.

I could list so many things I am thankful for in my life – but having faith in God is what they are all founded on; it’s what my life is founded on. There was a time in my life, many years actually, when this wasn’t true. So, having lived without faith or belief makes me more aware of it now.

But I am thankful for my faith every day, not just today. It’s about living thankfully. It’s about living daily with an attitude, a perspective of gratitude for all that is (not just for what you “have”). It’s different from just being optimistic, although I am optimistic about life because I know Who is in control and that through God all things will work together for good – even if we can’t see it. For me, it’s about being aware, through faith, of the blessedness of all of life and of the One who blesses me. I am God’s beloved, and for that I give thanks always.

Do you know that you are God’s beloved? You are – and for that I give thanks!

I pray your day is filled with the joy of knowing you are beloved of God.

Gotta go bake bread... :)

No comments: