April 24, 2009

The Heart of Ministry

In the past few months I’ve had the opportunity to spend more time in one-on-one caring conversations – which I really enjoy. You know, the heart of my work, my ministry, my job is pastoral care. I’m not sure that others often see it that way, though. It seems that sometimes we get so caught up in the way the world works, the things that need “doing,” that folks apologize for “taking my time”... like answering emails and writing board reports and planning camps are more important than spending time with someone who has good news to share or who wants someone to listen as they talk through something or needs help sorting through something or simply needs to know someone cares about them... I wonder, when that happens (when folks apologize for wanting to talk) do I send that message to others – that I’m too busy and other things are more important? I fervently hope not. The heart of ministry is relationships and relationship building, that is how we come to know God and how we share God and God’s grace with each other.

So this also raises the question - do you see what you do in spending time with another, sharing conversation on the heart of living - do you see that as ministry? It is. When you talk with your children about life and what's important in the choices they make; and when you listen to them work through feelings and choices and actions... When you talk with a neighbor or friend or co-worker about life and living... When you call a friend who is sick or who may be dying and simply share a word of love - or cry with them... Do you know that all those moments are ministry? Do you understand that in those times you are sharing God and grace and love with another? That is what ministry is about; the sharing of God and grace in the midst of our living so that we each come to live centered in Christ.

Blessings and peace.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

This post really speaks to me. You know we are alike in many ways... and this is one of them... people apologize to me for talking to me or asking a question.

I do believe it is ministry to listen and comfort, probably more than anything else we do.

suzanne said...

"I do believe it is ministry to listen and comfort, probably more than anything else we do."Yep - but in our society sharing time with another just to listen and offer comfort doesn't qualify as "doing" something, and the almighty "doing" is soooo important.

Sometimes the best and most important thing we can do for another is simply be with them offering our presence, and trusting God to work in the moment through our relationship.
Blessings,
Suzanne

Betsy said...

We are so programmed to "do" ministry that we sometimes feel guilty ourselves when we stop to take time with another and that is just sad. It is not only ministry to listen and comfort but also to encourage and exhort and sometimes even just to share Christian fellowship. We would all do well to follow Jesus' example; consider all the personal conversations, home visits, dinners, etc. He just enjoyed the people, loving and teaching all the while.

Unknown said...

this speaks to me, it is where I am most comfortable and have found more blessings than I deserve. I do not grapple with guilt over remaining engaged in my community "over" heading off to far away lands in mission. Thanks for the encouragement.