July 22, 2007

Not 'what you did', but 'what you were called to do'

Another great post I read the other day said... "You won't be judged on what you did - you will be judged on what you were called to do."

He makes two points that I'd like to look at closer... The first is - not being judged on comparison. How often I find myself comparing myself with some else - and coming up on the short end of the stick! It's all too easy to fall into this trap. I remember the Jewish story of Rabbi Zeusa (sorry for mispelling!) where the Rabbi says, "When I stand before God, God won't ask me why I wasn't a better Moses. God will ask me why I wasn't a better Zeusa." God has created each of us to be distinct. Why is that so difficult for me (perhaps all of us?) to celebrate? Why do I find myself checking myself against others, even for sme of the craziest, simplest things?

Is this true for you? What do you find works for you when this happens? What snaps you out of it?

No comments: