July 19, 2007

The Song of Myself

I read a great blog the other day at Real Live Preacher about singing the song of yourself. (It is definitely worth a read.) And it got me thinking...

What would it take to sing the song of myself? and What would it cost me? he asks... This post resonated with me, in part, because I believe that we each have truth to share - but we need to do the necessary work of knowing ourselves in order to understand what that truth is. I believe we come to know ourselves better as we come to know God better, as we deepen our relationship with God. And it is through the confidence of that knowledge and the depth of that relationship that I might find the courage to actually sing the song of myself. For it does take courage, because in sharing the truth as I have come to understand it lies great vulnerability. Whether others understand or not that this is what I am doing, I know that I am making public my truest self - and that calls for risk in so many ways, not least of which is the possibility of finding myself alone. Ah, but to risk it - to dare to sing the song of myself, to share my truth is to feel, even for a fraction of a second, that I am walking the path I have been called to walk. It is to know with certainty that the vibrations of the world sing and pulse in a harmony beyond anything humanity could dream of creating alone.

Perhaps one day I will hear the song clearly enough to sing it for you. Perhaps one day you will sing it for me. ...Until then, maybe we can walk together listening for the soft humming that we may find in the silent spaces.

No comments: