July 3, 2007

I Heard God's Voice Calling

I was going through a file and came across this poem I wrote several years ago... I used to write poetry a lot when I was younger. I can't remember the last time I wrote any... (hmm, I think that needs some reflection...) Anyway, I hope you enjoy it.

I heard God’s voice calling…

I heard God’s voice calling

in the whispering of the trees

and the birds’ songs.

I heard God’s voice calling

in the raging of the storm

and the stillness of the night.

I heard God’s voice calling

come to me, follow me,

walk in my way.

I heard God’s voice calling

in the fullness of my soul

and I listened.

Suzanne Stout

10-23-93

...how do you hear God's voice calling you?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your poem...didn't know you wrote proetry! I often wonder when you knew that God was calling you into ministry. Was there a special moment? Or event?

suzanne said...

I actually heard God's call for several years before I was willing to admit any of it. And then, the best I could do was to respond to the call to go to seminary. I truly, at the time, couldn't see past that step. 'Who me preach?' Then, after some time in school, I understood the call to congregational ministry. But still, 'Who me preach?'... God is very wise - just in case you didn't know - only revealing to me what I was able to handle and respond to. And the best way to describe how I 'knew' is to share that there was, in each of those steps, an absolute sense of rightness about them. Fear, yes, but rightness nonetheless. I didn't know where seminary would lead, I only knew I had to go. To not go was like denying an important part of myself.
Thanks for asking!