October 26, 2008

Planning to Live

You may know this about me, but I am a planner and a list-maker. I like having a plan, a vision for my life – it helps bring order to my days, which are often chaotic. Truth be told, I like having a plan because it helps me feel more in control - especially when things don’t seem to be in my control. Now, I know that I am never really in control, and that God is always in control. But it helps sometimes to have a sense of knowing what’s going to happen (even if I really don’t).

The difficulty is learning to not hold so tightly to my plan that I miss God’s plan for me. I have learned that if I focus only on planning ahead, then I tend to not live now. I focus on what’s next and miss what is happening around me. I miss the invitations and the opportunities that God places in my life - invitations to experience God’s presence through my relationships with others or simply through the dawning of a new day. Invitations that quite often alter my plan and bring wonders I hadn’t dreamed of.

This tendency of looking ahead and missing the present is even greater during times of significant transition – especially transition I did not choose. What about you? Do you see God at work in your life and in the life of our congregation right now?

God is doing wonderful things here among us. I pray that you make yourself a part of it.

No comments: