October 28, 2008

Showing me who I am…

I came across this post the other day and was struck by the phrase that through my relationships with others “God has a chance to hold up a mirror and show me who I am.”

I wonder, how often are we blessed with relationships that have that kind of depth to them? Relationships where we feel free and comfortable and, more importantly, responsible for helping one another grow in Christ? It’s not something that happens by chance, these relationships. They are something that we have to intentionally seek, and something we have to consistently work for.

Do you have at least one? Do you have someone with whom you can be honest about your life, your spiritual journey, your fears and your desires? Do you have someone who will tell you when they don’t agree with you or with your actions – and, most importantly, to whom you will listen? Or do you come across as closed and defensive so that others are either afraid or unwilling to speak plainly when that is needed?

Some of my times of greatest growth come when I am willing to look into the mirror that others hold up for me and see who I am.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What I see, what I have always seen is a soul filled with grace and a very lovely spirit. Even on everlasting and tedious rides home from Orlando late at night after an even longer day of classes full of Hebrew-izing, inducting and exegeting and stuff.
Betsy