September 27, 2010

PrairieFire

I have been accepted to participate in a 2-year program (better said "journey") for personal spiritual formation called "PrairieFire." (If you're interested, you can read more about it here.)

We had our first class last week, and it was wonderful. The day just flew by. What a great group of people, good facilitators, and wonderful discussion - plus time spent in prayer and silence together. I really think I'm going to enjoy our time together. That's not to say it will be all easy - realistically, I expect to encounter some times of discussion that I won't enjoy... but I pray they will be times of learning. Don't be surprised if I post from time-to-time about it.

What are you doing to nurture your own growth in awareness of God's Spirit?

p.s. The image on this post is from Soul of The Prairie, a working farm and retreat center in rural Hubbard, Iowa. I spent a fabulous two days on a personal retreat there early this summer. They have created more than one labyrinth mowed into the prairie grass. I hope to go back again before we get too much snow this year. Absolutely beautiful, restful, and nurturing - and Mary and her husband are gracious hosts. (You can check it out here.)

Many blessings.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think it is hard coming out of the comfort zone. For everyone it may be different but the reasons are all the same. I have been nurtured for years and well fed by either the ministry of others or just wonderful validation and encouragement. I have never really whole heartedly participated. I am in a position to attend our small groups and learn more of me and what God can do in my life. With that is growing pains but a commitment this time to earnestly listen and work. I am excited to see what your discipline will come to you. It is easy I think to sit back in a very comfortable seat unless you are not at one with the spirit then I think could possibly make you miserable..Its great though because no matter of our backgrounds we can grow together and cry and laugh together.