February 26, 2015

Endings and Beginnings

“One of the marvelous facts of life is that every ending carries within itself the potential for a new beginning.”    ~ Mary Borhek

I sit here for moments feeling blank and unmoving. “Every ending carries within itself a new beginning”… and yet all I can think of is the ending of death, a good friend's recent  death to be specific. Where is the new beginning in that? Oh, I see the possibilities, but what I know is that the possibilities pale in comparison to the reality we desired - to have her with us in this life for many more years. To say she is “better off” is little consolation in the desolation of this loss. 

And yet, I recognize she is with me still, in ways different than before. More intimate, more often. Her presence, and gentleness and sweetness and insight and love and concern, her view of the world and commitment to relationships, … all this and more seeps through the moments of my days in ways they didn’t when she was breathing. And so she is helping shape and form me in ways neither of us would have imagined.

It is marvelous and wonderful. And if I cannot have her breathing with us still, then I am thankful for her living presence in my life. I am thankful she journeys with me still. I am thankful that every ending carries within itself the potential for a new beginning.

No comments: