May 8, 2015

rooted deeply together


I sit here outside my apartment (at Creighton University Retreat Center) listening to the soughing of the wind in the trees. I am at once thrilled I can hear it with my current hearing aids, when there was a time I no longer could, and simultaneously amazed at the beauty of the sound. Such melodious song as the wind whispers and roars its changeableness, yet always singing of things just beyond our awareness unless we stop and listen.

I am just as amazed at the ability of these mighty ones to dip and sway in tune with the great song of living. 30-feet tall or more, yet they dance gracefully with the wind. 

It is counter intuitive to our nature. The world teaches us: to be mighty, we must stand tall and firm; that is the way to be strong like the oaks. Yet the oaks and elms know the great truth: to be strong, plant your roots deeply together in the soil of the One, only this will give you the freedom to dance with the eternal song in the winds of life. 

We are, each of us, made in divine essence, created in the image of the Holy One. And we are, each of us, fully human. And when we are rooted in God, grounded deeply in the center of our being, then our humanity dances gloriously to the eternal song of life. The foibles and fancies of our humanness become graceful steps in the dance of life’s journey. 

Rooted deep, I am finally free to hold the vulnerability of the dance within the embrace of grace. Rooted deep, I am finally free to see my human foibles with the heart of Love. Rooted deep, I am finally free to unfold into the truth within me. Rooted deeply together, we sustain one another when the winds of life are strong, and we listen with one another when the song of life is a mere whisper in our soul. 

I sit here outside my apartment listening to the song of joy in the trees, knowing you abide with me here.

No comments: