June 29, 2007

Congregational Conversation - a concern...

One concern I had after our Congregational Conversation, and which I still have, is that many people may have left the discussion feeling that they did not get a chance to share or respond. Because it was evening and we didn't want to keep folks late (especially the kids), it seemed to me that we ended before everyone had a chance to share. Perhaps some people weren't wanting to share, but I left feeling some people may have felt cut off ...and sometimes that can leave you with the feeling that your thoughts aren't valued - which I believe is not true in this case. I know there really was not time at the meeting to dialogue about concerns - and I don't think it would have been very helpful to do it then since many people were hearing the information for the first time and, perhaps, need time to digest before finding more dialogue valuable. But the team certainly was seeking to gain insight into first impressions. Perhaps my concern is unfounded, but if not - I hope if you did not get a chance to share, that you wrote your comments down. And I pray that you know your thoughts are valued.

I believe that none of us knows God's Truth. (No matter how much I want to believe that I'm always right, I'm painfully aware it isn't true!) Our humanity hinders any one of us from knowing fully as God can be fully known. However, I believe that God imparts to each of us some portion of God's truth. And it is through our coming together and sharing the understanding that God has given each of us, even when it may seem to contradict - through this open and loving dialogue we grow together as a community of faith to understand a larger portion of God's will for us. We are each distinct parts making up the unique whole that our community of faith is. And we are each needed, our gifts and graces as well as our weaknesses - each of us is needed and cannot be replaced by another (just as the hand is not an eye, nor the eye an ear, etc.). I pray that you hear and respond to God's call to be part of the dialogue as we journey together to do God's will.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I got to say everything I wanted to say, at my table, and I heard some of my same questions asked by others, but my concern was that the meeting was too controlled. I understand about keeping the children out too late, etc. but I think we should continue until everyone says what they want to say. I agree that to the committee the subject is old, but to quite a few people, the subject is new. I pray that everyone gets to ask questions and share their opinions.