March 3, 2015

in service to the Holy One

“You shall worship the Sovereign your God, and God only shall you serve.”
~ Matthew 4:10

… and yet how often do I put things and goals and desires over the wishes of God? How often and in how many ways do I neglect the things of love and healing for things of selfish want and control? It is so easy to fall asleep to the choices I am making and their impact on my living and on the lives of others. So easy to simply take what is before me without questioning the cost. 

The path that Jesus asks me to follow asks me to see the difference between wants and needs, asks me to experience all of life as holy, asks me understand the connectedness of the choices before me with the lives of others - to see, to experience, to understand and then to choose. And in my good moments I do all these. Yet, the Beauty is, even when I do not, even when my choices are all about me, all about this immediate moment, even then God will use my choices to bring about healing. The wonder of that causes my heart to fill with awe.

And so I seek to serve God only, knowing all the while that the very act of this intention places the entirety of my life, my whole being in service to the Holy. And that brings peace and gives my heart joy.

No comments: