March 5, 2015

to fight for growth

“We cannot afford not to fight for growth and understanding, 
even when it is painful, as it is bound to be.” ~ May Sarton

And who is it I battle but my ego-self. The part of me seeking to keep the status quo, to protect my equanimity by denying and deflecting pain. The part of me that values safety and equates “happiness” with lack of pain.

This self has served an important purpose in helping me cope with the vagaries of the world. Yet I seek more now. I seek to experience life as it is and to respond to it as I am. I seek to know and to live from my Self.

You see, I trust so much deeper now. I know that behind the changing-ness of life is an abiding Presence, a Presence of Love. And that Love will support and sustain me, nurture and comfort me, strengthen and heal me through all that life will bring.

Yes it may will be painful at times, but I have experienced no greater joy than meeting life as it is with all of me, living, as best I am able, the connectedness of our shared humanity. It is through this openness to life and Presence and you that I am coming to understand my Self as I am. To live any other way is to deny who I am and who I am becoming - and that I cannot afford.

No comments: