June 7, 2007

If I truly believed...

I came across this statement on a church website yesterday while doing some (totally unrelated) research. (boy, I sure can go down some rabbit trails if I don't watch out!)

We are spiritual beings, created in God’s image. The spirit of God lives within each person; therefore, all people are inherently good.

My first reaction was – yes, I believe that, too. (What about you?) However, my second reaction was – do I really? I mean, do I really believe that, deep inside where it counts? Do I live as if I believed that with the core of my being? …I’m not so sure I live it – and I do believe it is a person’s actions that show the world what she believes and values…

If I believe that God lives within each person, wouldn’t I take the time to greet every person with intentional respect? Responding to the light of God within as the gift of God’s presence that it is? Not just the people I know, but each person I meet throughout the day – the clerk at the counter, the salesperson at the store, the person looking for a handout, and… It is the intention behind my actions that I’m questioning. I’m not sure that this difference would be noticed – although I suspect it would. More than simply being polite, which I do try my best to do; am I allowing the light of God within me to greet the light of God within you, acknowledging the connectedness that I believe exists between all of us?

hmm... this is going to take some more pondering. In the meantime, for the next week I’m going to try to pay better attention and see if I am really living what I believe.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Suzanne,

I always thought I believed this too, but if I live what I believe, then I DON'T believe it! I look at every stranger I meet as if I think they are out to get me and mine! I've certainly got to work on trying to live it. It seems for me that it's easy to say I believe it - but truly another thing to act as if I believe it.
I think it's going to take some more pondering for me!

suzanne said...

corinne,
It's not always easy to live aware, is it? If only we could just go on living somewhat blinded to the disconnect between our faith-beliefs and our actions, it would be a lot less challenging in so many ways... but, I suspect, it would more challenging in others - in the ways that count most.

Keep pondering, for that is one place you will meet God.

Anonymous said...

I think that, when people meet, there an opportunity for a meaningful exchange and perhaps a connection. It could be the light of God in me greeting the light of God in you, but I doubt that I have ever seen such a pure exchange. The reason is that that my light of God is commingled with a great deal of Me, and you with yours. And I believe this must be the case with all people, some to an extent that no light of God (or good) is accessible.

suzanne said...

Glenn,
...sigh... yes, you are probably right that we have never experienced such a pure exchange of the light of God with one another, or with others. It is so difficult to get ME out of the way of Christ within me. How different things would be if we were each able to do so - even if only once in awhile!