June 23, 2007

Journeying, part 2...

In my previous post I said about teenagers:
During this most difficult time in their lives what I believe they need most from adults is for us to be honest - to be able to be real, authentic. ... But, at the same time, I believe what they also need most is to know that the most valuable thing I can offer is to be available to walk with them on their journey, no matter what that is or where it takes them. To offer them my faith to lean on when theirs is weak, so that they can trust that all will be well, that God will be with them no matter what, and that they are each persons of infinite worth and value right now just the way they are.

For me, this also describes what our relationships with one another are all about - regardless of our age... or at least what they should be all about. That's what Jesus offered - honesty, authenticity, support, faith to share. Simply put, unconditional love.

I hate to admit that it is often easier for me to offer this type of love to teenagers than it is to offer it to adults. With teens, it is so much more obvious that they are seeking, searching, in need. Most of them just aren't as adept at putting on the mask as most adults are. And their honesty demands that I not put on the 'polite adult' mask that society tends to want adults to wear.

Today is my retreat day this month. I hope to spend at least part of it reflecting on where I need to be more authentic, honest and supportive in my relationships.

No comments: