June 20, 2007

Where your passion lies...

I spent all of last week as a counselor at senior high camp in Silver Springs. Sunday afternoon 53 high schoolers arrived at the conference center and we left on Saturday morning. I have worked as a counselor for third grade camp for the past few years - so this was my first experience in a long time with high schoolers in that type of setting. I came away from the week tired but energized. I realized yesterday talking with one of our church's parents that the high school camp had almost three-times as many kids and was about twice as long as the third grade camp - but I came home from it less tired and more energized! It is amazing at times when I live pursuing my passion how much it energizes me - both spiritually and mentally.

Following God should not be a punishment. I should not be continually drained by pursuing what I believe God calls me to do. God calls each of us to wonderful things - things we are gifted and wired for. What energizes me is not the same as what will energize someone else - and that is a great thing. I enjoy working with people of all ages and especially kids - but my passion is found working with teenagers, and I have greater giftedness there.

What is God calling you to? What are you passionate about, what energizes you spiritually and mentally? ...and, most importantly, What are you doing about it?

No comments: