June 2, 2007

rain, Rain, RAIN!

I’m sitting on my back porch enjoying the rain. Yes, that’s right – RAIN in north Florida! And it’s not a 10 minute downpour, but a good long soaking – one that will hopefully do much to put out the fires. Sometimes tropical storms can be a good thing.

I cannot fathom how the firefighters do what they do. These fires have been so huge that they could not be put out – all the firefighters could do was attempt to control the blaze until it burned in on itself and ran out of fuel. I cannot imagine the work they do, the heat and intensity, and then to fight a fire such as the ones we’ve had lately that they know from the start would take WEEKS to put out. And they work 14 days before taking a break (2 days off) battling the larger fires. Wow. All I can say is – Thank You!

1 comment:

Vickie said...

Rain, wonderful rain. You have no idea how I rejoiced when I read about the rain falling. I've followed the fires in Florida, remembering about 6 years ago when it was so hard to breathe or see because of wildfires. Besides, the ones near Lake City reminded me that David would have been trying to protect the residents of Advent Christian Village and complaining about the smell.

It's hard to imagine such faithfulness as the firefighters show when they deal with such events day after day, knowing, as you say, that it will be weeks before things are under control.

I can remember more than one prayer for a good tropical storm to sit over the lake house and rain for a couple of days, when the lake level drops really low and so does the water table in the state. God is good and creation is made to be good for all.