June 20, 2007

A vision of hope

Here is a vision that, I hope, will up lift you and give you hope and strength.

Last week at camp I led two small group sessions on meditation and contemplation. These were sessions that the kids volunteered to attend. Eleven teens attended the first session and 15 attended the second. Picture a room full of teenagers requesting, seeking to learn more about communing with God - giving up time for other things, sitting without iPods or video games, sitting silently in shared space in communion with one another, seeking to learn more about sitting quietly in the presence of God. Some of them already practice meditation, for others it was a new experience - each of them ready to say 'enough' to the hectic life they lead, and seek instead opportunities to simply be in God's presence. It was an awesome and powerful experience for me. The Spirit of God was a tangible presence in that room. I am blessed to have been a part of it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ahh..there is hope yet! What a great idea to offer this at church camp. I'll give it a try next summer (my camp obligations are already over for this season!). I used to have loud music playing when kids showed up for youth group to give the room some energy. Over the years, I came to discover that what many of the teens really wanted was...silence. A quiet space to come and just "be" for awhile, away from their hectic lives.