June 22, 2007

Journeying with teenagers...

I think one of the things I like about teenagers is their honesty. Much of the time they tell it like it is - or at least like they see it - whether or not it is the 'polite' thing to say. They are living through a time in their life when they are trying to figure out who they are and whose they are, where they belong and who will love them. They often wear masks to hide their uncertainties and to contain their fears, and they seek growth and understanding. During this most difficult time in their lives what I believe they need most from adults is for us to be honest - to be able to be real, authentic. To be angry when I am upset, to cry when I am sad, to admit when I don't know or don't understand, to not pretend that the world they live in is the same as the world of my youth, to not pretend that I understand all that they are going through... But, at the same time, I believe what they also need most is to know that the most valuable thing I can offer is to be available to walk with them on their journey, no matter what that is or where it takes them. To offer them my faith to lean on when theirs is weak, so that they can trust that all will be well, that God will be with them no matter what, and that they are each persons of infinite worth and value right now just the way they are.

God loves me that way... God loves you that way... do you know it?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Excellent post. I too think that what teens need from us is to know that they are not alone on the journey of faith. That we will walk beside them as a companion, allowing them the freedom to walk at their own pace. Honesty and genuiness are great provisions for that journey together.