June 28, 2007

Our community of faith...

...I have spent a good portion of today processing yesterday's Congregational Conversation. As I reflect more, I will share my thoughts here... but let me start by saying:

I am so proud to be able to say I am a member of our church. The people I worship and serve with are so intentional about living out the biblical understanding of a faith community. You folks are great!

Last night about 45 of us gathered together to learn about a proposed building project that a team of folks has been working on. We fellowshipped together (read "had food"!), listened to the team's information, asked insightful questions, and spent some time sharing our initial reactions with the team and with one another. We didn't all agree, but we were able to disagree and raise questions and concerns while still communicating appreciation for the work that has been done. We were able to sit at tables together and treat each other as valued children of God. With a project the size of the one being proposed, it's typical to find groups who agree, who disagree, and who want to modify it in significant ways... These divisions of thought could easily fracture our community - and yet I believe discussions like we had last night will help instead to strengthen our trust in God, strengthen our care for one another, and help us to more easily glimpse the Spirit at work in our midst.

As a Christian, it saddens me to admit that oftentimes Christians can be found treating one another worse than folks who don't claim any connection to Christ. So it fills my heart with joy to be part of a community who understands and lives out what Christ teaches. A community who can disagree and still communicate love and acceptance. A community of people who care enough about God's call on their own lives and God's call on the life of our family of faith to not only give thoughtful consideration to what others say, but to also speak honestly when they are concerned. It takes courage and faith, not only in God but also faith in the Spirit of God at work in our midst.

My prayer is that, as we all have time to reflect, think, and question, that we will be able to continue to trust one another and God as we continue to seek God's will for us in this situation. Thank you for calling me to be a part of God's work in this place with you.

No comments: